Friday, July 30, 2010

Five Guys Burgers and Fries: Not So Cheap... But Pretty Darn Tasty!

I had never heard of Five Guys Burgers and Fries until the leader of the free worldstepped into one in DC, followed by every photographer in the country who was not chasing LiLoor TomKatat the time. This made the news, because, well, I don't know why it was newsworthy. I suppose because world leaders aren't supposed to eat fast food since President Clintongrew to ginormo proportions as a result of his affinity for Big Macs.

We saw the most recent addition to the burger chain go in on the main drag in town a few weeks ago, but due to recent financial restrictions, we weren't able to give it the ol' taste test until today. My daughter was just dying to get in there because her friends have been raving about it, apparently. I'm certain her 12 year old friends have truly refined palates, so naturally I trust their opinions. We decided to bite the bullet and pay Five Guys a visit.

These financial restrictions led me to search for coupons online; apparently they don't exist. Still, the search was not fruitless. I discovered a few things about the establishment that were quite helpful. Namely, a regular burger has two beef patties. If you're a single patty kind of person, you must order the "little hamburger". Also, the large fries can feed a small army. Good to know!

We strolled in right around noonish and walked into a really. Long. Line. *UGH.* My daughter noted that the line was akin to waiting to get on Space Mountain at Disneyland.The wait is made less traumatic by the free peanuts waiting for customer right there at the front door.

Git yer peanuts heeeeEEEERE!


They have a bulletin board, paper, and crayons readily available for kids (well, and I suppose their moms) to draw pictures or write messages and post them on their bulletin board. Read: My lil' angel was kept busy while I stood in line, which is fine by me. The boards at this particular Five Guys was chockablock with colorful notes, praising their delicious fries, mostly.

The wait really wasn't all that bad because they had three registers running. When we made it to the front (10 minutes or so after walking in), the cashier asked if we had been there before. I responded that we had not. He offered to go over the menu with us. Had I not known about the double-patty thing, which most newbies aren't aware of, I would have thought the guy was daft. Since I had researched the menu already, I spared the growing line by passing on the run-down. By the way, at this location, you can bypass the line by ordering ahead of time.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to order a burger, grilled cheese, or hot dog, then tell them specifically how you want it. Choose from mayo, relish, onions, lettuce, pickles, tomatoes, grilled onions, grilled mushrooms, ketchup, mustard, jalapeno peppers, green peppers, A1 Sauce,Bar-B-Q sauce, or hot sauce. Get one, none, or ALL of those toppings - FREE! Cheese and bacon are available, of course, but you've gotta pay extra for those.

My daughter and I each ordered little cheeseburgers with a mishmash of toppings, 1 order of large fries, and a soda. The total, with tax, was $16.38. More expensive than In-N-Out Burgerbut less costly than TGI Friday's.

We grabbed a table on the outdoor patio and snacked on peanuts while we waited. An employee of Five Guys came out to ask if we needed refills of our soda or if we had any trash to dispose of. Not yet, but wow!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

FINALLY! They called our number... My daughter scrambled in to pick up our order, then almost immediately inhaled her burger when she sat down. Then I noticed that she was chowing down on the burger I ordered, which offensively contained mustard. Trade! (That's why the picture above includes half-eaten food.) Her tiny little friend, the gal who eats almost nothing on most occasions, finished her burger in about three minutes! She had been to Five Guys before, but ordered a hot dog on that visit. She said the burger was a better option.

I'm not gonna lie - from the first bite, this burger was delicious! Juicy, tasty, pure yummy! The three of us were able to share the fries and STILL couldn't finish them. They're big fries, not the shoestring kind but not quite steak fries, either. I didn't love them... They were ok but I wouldn't go posting a colorful note on the bulletin board raving about them. I was told their cajun fries are to die for. I'll find out next time.

Because... Yes, we WILL be back. Probably not at noon, but we'll definitely make a return visit. Hopefully Barack won't be there, as much as I'd like to meet the guy, but the line is already long enough. :)

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a place to check out. But since i'm in Fresno I have to wait a few more weeks until they open up there location at The Shops at River Park. Thanks for all the info Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i work at the one in Fremont, Ca. and I can say, yeah, the food is yummy. I don't eat it much, cus i'd get fat like Clinton did, if I ate it every day. so I limit myself to once a week...lol. and even with that, I give the burger & the fries & the cup to my friends, I just eat the 'extra' fries left in the bag. even that, is too much for me sometimes. cus they give ya a boatload of fries. i'm a fry lover, so "I" love the fries. If ya like spicy fries, I'd reccommend the Cajun. I usually just get the regular fries tho. cus the Cajun for me, is too much sodium already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would agree somewhat. I went to our location in Sacramento, and about fell over for 3 little cheese burger, two fries, and 3 small drinks at $25.83. I looked at the girl behind the register and said no, my order was for only 3 little burgers, 2 small fries and 3 small drinks, which she indicated correct that will be $25.83. It was tasty, but not for that price.

    My kids and I almost went back yesterday until I said we can go to In and Out, order the same and come back over here and have a Big Spoon Yogurt and still have money left over...think you can guess what they went for :-)

    ReplyDelete